Monday, April 20, 2009

Harmony of the Trinity

I want to spend some more time looking, in a different translation, at the passage I put up last week:

5But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. 7Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you. 8 And when he comes, he will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment:9concerning sin, because they do not believe in me; 10 concerning righteousness, because I go to the Father, and you will see me no longer; 11 concerning judgment, because the ruler of this world is judged.

12"I still have many things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all the truth, for he will not speak on his own authority, but whatever he hears he will speak, and he will declare to you the things that are to come. 14He will glorify me, for he will take what is mine and declare it to you. 15 All that the Father has is mine; therefore I said that he will take what is mine and declare it to you.

John 16:5-15 (ESV)

There is such harmony in the work of the Trinity. The Son walked the earth in ministry. When He returned to the Father (see John 14 for a discussion of His father's house and His return to it), the Spirit will come to be a comfort and a guide, an advocate and a counselor. One became the incarnate God to reveal the Father to us; one came to draw us to the Father through the Son.

More than just refuting the modalistic view of God, this passage shows His perfection through the harmonious relationship amongst the economic trinity. An incredibly rich relationship; never to be fully understood nor replicated by humanity, but always to be strived for.

The Oneness of God comes through ("All that the Father has is mine..."), the threeness of God comes through (Father, Son and Spirit). Distinct persons working in an inseparable essence. Harmony of purpose, economy of function. I see it all in these 11 verses.

Are there other passages of Scripture that you look at to give you the comfort of who gGod is and how He works within the Godhead?



1 comment:

  1. Fabulous review. Really enjoyed by reading your post and thanks for sharing your nice thoughts and feelings with us and waiting for New updates. Stay blessed

    ReplyDelete